*The names of all individuals who took part in this project have been changed out of respect for their privacy.*

So ... are there really homeless in Revelstoke?

When I first began working as the Housing Outreach Worker here in Revelstoke, B.C. I was asked this question almost everyday. Even those who didn't ask would tell me "well, we only have one or two homeless people really." As a student of intercultural communication at Royal Roads University, this got me thinking: Why do we believe homelessness only exists in larger cities? Is it the way we communicate about homelessness in smaller centres? Is it the fact that most of the homeless population in small centres are categorized as either "hidden homeless" or "homeless-at-risk?" These questions are where my thesis project began. I also came to realize that it was the concepts of space and place, which would be of most benefit. As a society we create "spaces" and "places." As such I have been busy reading the works of Henri Lefebvre, David Harvey, Michael Foucault, and others.

Theory does not an entire project make, however. And, since I am not one who can patiently wait around until theory has decided to make its way happily into my realm of knowledge, I have also conducted a number of semi-structured interviews

No comments: